Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Strangers With Candy

I'm finding my biggest challenge at hand would have to be getting through the next 5 months. The urge to just drop everything and go swells bigger and bigger with each nearing day of my departure from Dallas/Fort Worth. But as the great Jim Ron said "motivation is what gets your started. Habit is what keeps you going." This quote is one of many that surround me at my desk. About a year ago I put up various motivational and inspirational quotes to aid in my return to the gym and maintain a better health and fitness lifestyle. A little over a year later I'm 40 pounds lighter, with an 10-15 pound muscle gain. I'm down to a 33 size pants which I haven't been since high school. As a personal achievement, this has been my greatest thus far. Not much for bragging..but its something.

The days here have been gloomy and cold. Last week the entire city was completely iced in. I sat at home and played video games and ate waffle house. Today is another "iced" in day. I went in to work for a few hours to complete some paperwork then made the treacherous drive home. I took advantage of this down time by heading to the post office to finally turn my passport application in. My first attempt at this, over a week ago, was shot down the second I got there by a line of 10 some odd people. I was turned away by the postal worker due to the amount of people wanting to turn their applications in. Today was success, with me being the only one at the post office needing to get this done.

The postal worker assisting Me's name was Travis. A mid-40's heavier set man with gray facial hair and pierced ears. To strike up casual conversation he asked me where I was going. I ratted off several cities in Europe. He noted my Amsterdam mention and recommended I check out the "Red Dog Cafe." He said Amsterdam was a place of sin and debauchery. I fully agreed with him, while recalling in my mind the stories of my friend Lauren's brief three years there. I appreciated his excitement and sharing of stories while he completed the final steps in processing my application. I then mentioned to him my further plans of California and Burning Man. He jumped on Burning Man like a spider monkey. He said he had a choice between that or some other adventure (I can't recall at the moment) that takes place in Louisiana. He chose the Louisiana venture but shared with me his jealousy for my plans to attend Burning Man. He told me to come back and tell him how it went. I'll probably make a return visit to him in June before I leave.

I can't help but notice the people I'm meeting that are having an unconventional influence on my means for travel and self-exploration. My friends are already above and beyond supportive of me doing all this. But its the people I've encountered since the publication of my journey that are having an uncanny relation to what I have begun for myself. I can see the excitement in these people's eyes for me as they hear my plans and reminisce on their previous travels and adventures. I'm sure, in their contained enthusiasm, they are thinking "He has no idea whats in store for him." I absolutely have no idea whats in store for me and with that simple fact my anticipation could not be greater. With a combination of these strangers positive influences and consistent patience, I feel that I will be able to successfully concur the next 5 months. All my research and task lists also aid in good time killing. They are comparable to the little goals I had to set for myself during my return to the gym. Each small goal accomplished was one more step to my larger goal of healthy eating habits and lean muscular physique.


A new car and flight tickets are next on my to do list for destination Europe.

Stay tuned for my Valentine's Day post. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment